Regulation & Licensing Within The Assisted Living Industry

The assisted living industry is relatively loosely regulated when compared to other industries. In the United States all assisted living facilities are required to be registered with the state they are located in. Each state has different requirements for licensing and some are stricter than others.

 Within the United States there are watchdog groups such as the Assisted Living Federation of America (ALFA) that look at and influence the assisted living industry. They are focused on ensuring seniors receive excellent care and quality of life in the final years of their lives. On the ALFA site there is the contact information of the licensing authority of each state and the requirements to get licensing. Because many assisted living clients are disabled watchdog groups and heavy regulation is required to ensure they are properly being taken care of.

 The process of opening an assisted living facility can prove to be a challenge. Normally it is wise to be familiar with the industry before attempting to open your own assisted care facility or business. There is heavy state regulation to ensure the seniors are properly taken care of and given a good quality of life. The motivating force for opening a facility may ultimately determine if you succeed or fail. Doing it for the money may open legal troubles and regulation issues down the line. Opening it to help the elderly will lead to a higher quality of care focused on them instead of the money. The big hurdle is to get the licensing required by the state to open. It can be a long and difficult process if you are not familiar with the industry. For someone familiar with the industry it may still prove to be a challenge. Like all other businesses one must attain financing, zoning, among many other things. If one is familiar with the industry and is willing to work it is definitely an attainable goal to open company within the assisted living industry.

 Regulation for jobs differ throughout all of the states. In most states a certification and on the job training is required for jobs dealing with direct caretaking of the elderly. Management positions usually do not require any certification but experience with the elderly does help. Certifications do not usually transfer between states. If someone is certified to work or view jobs in New York and wishes to take a job within assisted living in California they must get certified in California. Some states have a streamlined process to get certification if you are already certified in a different state. Check on the ALFA site and contact the state regulating agency for more information.

The assisted living industry is heavily regulated at the state level. All facilities must have a license to open and most of the workers have to be certified by the state. The hardest part of opening an assisted living facility is dealing with regulation and getting a license to open. If one is familiar with the assisted living industry it is definitely attainable.

Comments are closed.

Post Navigation